The Columbia County Youth Action Team is a group of teenagers from local high schools who work together to pledge against destructive decisions and work toward the promotion of positive activities for themselves and their peers. The mission of the Youth Action Team is to encourage positive decision making and prevent underage drinking. For the 2015-2016 school year, we had 19 students enrolled in the program; that is a 50% increase of student participation since 2014. The students have attended multiple leadership trainings, such as a week of leadership workshops at Georgia Teen Institute. The team also participated in two rounds of Sticker Shock for the 2015-2016 school year to raise awareness in the community about the consequences of providing alcohol to minors. The team also travelled to the state capitol in February for Prevention Day and one of our team members even spoke about how prevention and being on the Youth Action Team have positively impacted her life. All together the Youth Action Team has volunteered over 100 hours of volunteer service at events in our very own community. If YOU are interested in being a member of the Youth Action Team, contact Amy Usry at email@example.com or 706-650-5018.
Why you should join Youth Action Team:
• Community service hours / volunteer opportunities
• Networking and teamwork with other Columbia County youth
• Learn new leadership skills
• Participation looks great on college applications
• Fun community events: Monster Mash Halloween Event, Red Ribbon Run 5K, etc.
• Feel great about helping the community!
• A Youth Action Team t-shirt
• Must be a Columbia County High School student (grades 9-12)
• Must make a commitment to be alcohol and drug free
• Attend monthly Youth Action Team meetings (unless you have an approved excuse)
• Participate in all Youth Action Team projects (unless you have an approved excuse)
• Pledge to represent the Youth Action Team in a positive and respectful manner
• Have a passion for making a difference!